Monday, October 02, 2017

Roadside corruption

While taking a walk, I witnessed a traffic constable stopping a car, speaking to the driver briefly and accepting some cash. Evidently, it was the usual bribe we keep seeing on the streets day in and day out.

What made this scene memorable was that my fellow-walker recognised the cop who also spontaneously reciprocated. I learnt that the same policeman had stopped my fellow-walker's car a week earlier and had demanded money which was refused.

When confronted, the cop justified his behaviour: "What else can I do? My normal salary is Rs.30,000 p.m. But it has been cut to Rs.10,000 thanks to scores of complaints against me. I have a family to maintain. Please help me if you can. But do not harm me by making a complaint."

So, by pruning the cop's salary, has the government made him more corrupt?

1 comment:

akji said...

It is like our Bankers. Earning lot of commissions & cutting few increments. The statement of the police may not be true, because it is less than his substance