Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Phoneless office : ICICI Prudential's experiment?

We have heard about paperless offices. How about phoneless ones?

ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company has an office in Kodambakkam High Road, Chennai. I went there to enquire about a life policy. The first response predictably was "Our systems are down". However after some time, I was given the information. The conversation went like this:

"Would you give me your telephone number so that I can avoid coming to your office for simple enquiries?'

"We don't have a phone. You have to come personally if you want details."

"Why so?"

"When we are engaging a customer, we do not want to be interrupted by a phone call." (WOW!)

"Can you provide your mobile number?"

"Why should I give you my personal mobile number?" (in a brusque tone).

"I do not want your personal number. I thought the company would have provided you a mobile. Can I see the head of this office?"

I was directed to another official. His reasoning was even more bizarre.

"IRDA, the insurance regulator, has prohibited our calling the customers who are in "do not call" list. So we do not have telephones."

"Why don't you have phones atleast for incoming calls?"

"You don't understand. We are prohibited by IRDA ----"

This kind of nonsense and irresponsibility is not expected from ICICI Pru.

3 comments:

ICICI Prudential Life Insurance said...

Dear Mr.Srivarahan,

We are sorry to hear your experience. Please post your concern along with your contact details, on http://www.iciciprulife.com/ipru/GrievanceRedressal.jsp and we will get in touch with you within next 48 hours

Regards,
ICICI Prudential Life Insurance

K.R.Srivarahan said...

Dear ICICIPRU,

I have not heard from you on my complaint regarding non-availability of telephone in your Kodambakkam High Road branch. The branch says this is due to IRDA's regulation. Please advise me if this is the real reason.On hearing from you, I will take up with IRDA.Disabling the policy-holders from contacting the branch over phone cannot be IRDA's intention.

Regards,
Srivarahan

ICICI Prudential Life Insurance said...

Dear Mr.Srivarahan,

We acknowledge your concern and are sorry to hear your experience.We request you to share your contact details to enable us to assist you. Further, you may also contact us on our toll free number 1860 266 7766 or write to us at lifeline@iciciprulife.com.

Regards,
ICICI Prudential Life Insurance