Friday, July 09, 2010

PNB's "Consensus Banking" ?

The annual report of Punjab National Bank for the year ended 31st March 2010 says the following under 'Corporate Governance" (page 17):

"All our decisions are consensus decisions involving voice of our stakeholders". (Bold letters not mine). Wow ! Do only like-minded people work in the bank ? Is honest dissent discouraged? If no decision is taken in the absence of unanimity, the bank must be missing many opportunities for growth of business. Perhaps we should not take vapid statements seriously.

Arithmetic mistakes are another matter.In page 115, it is reported that 197263 shareholders have shareholding of nominal value of Rs.500 or less totally amounting to Rs.106823070. Simple arithmetic would show that even if every such shareholder has shareholding of nominal value of Rs.500, total will only be Rs.98631500. This table is entirely wrong.

I wonder how companies are confident that shareholders do not read their annual reports.

1 comment:

Sonia said...

I Sonia Singh having problem with PNB Net Banking, When I try to transfer money from my saving PNB to SBI bank through net banking , most of the times it gets reverted back to my PNB account. This has happened to me more than 5 times. They also deduct 5 rupees for each transaction even if the money is not transferred to the SBI bank account. I have contacted to the PNB customer care at complaint@pnb.co.in, my branch manager, and even submit complaint at Consumer Court http://www.consumercourt.in/bank-account/16773-pnb-net-banking-complaint.html but they don’t reply at all, I know the problem is with PNB side only because if I try to transfer money from another bank to SBI it gets transferred properly.
Sometimes its really urgent and the money gets reverted back and I have to pay 5 Rs. for each transaction even if it is not successful. If any one have any idea or faced such issue in past or facing such issue please contact me at cbnimbhal@gmail.com.